in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, May 14, 2016

ARC Review: Good Girl by Lauren Layne


I will admit that the cover for Good Girl is what drew me in even though I have read and enjoyed books by Lauren Layne before. I just couldn't resist that beautiful cover, and had to read this one. I did like it and there were some really cute moments here. I ultimately had mixed feelings though, and if I am being honest this wasn't my favorite story from Lauren Layne. 

Jenny Dawson is known as the good girl of country music. Used to being the country pop princess, she does what those around her tell her to do so that she can focus on her dream career. But when she finds herself the subject of a scandal, she heads to a remote location to hide out while the press dies down. There she meets the sexy Noah Maxwell who tells her that he is the caretaker for the property that she once visited as a child. But Noah is actually the owner of the property looking to hide out from his own life. Though they get off on the wrong foot, the attraction between them is undeniable and soon they find themselves unable to stay away from each other. But with their lives being so different how can they possibly make things work, especially when they are both running from things that will catch up to them soon rather than later. 

I think part of my issues with this story were the main characters. Noah was a jerk. There really is no other way to say it, and he did have some good moments. But he was so mean to Jenny at times, and then would instantly feel bad but not really go out of his way to make it better. Not only that, but then he would just do it again, sometimes even worse than the time before. So all the good times he did have were nowhere near enough to make up for how awful he was most the time. Jenny was sweet and I wanted to like her, but she came off as such a weak doormat. She let Noah get away with causing her to cry multiple times, and then just forgave him as though it was nothing. While it was nice she didn't hold a grudge, she didn't really stand up for herself or have any self respect it seemed like. She tried standing up for herself one time, and that was quickly forgotten when he apologized and said it wouldn't happen again. I just couldn't get over it because it was nothing but constant circles and going round and round gets old quickly. They did have chemistry and the attraction was there, but I just had a tough time getting into it especially considering the fact that while these two were becoming physical with one another, they refrained from a lot (including kissing) because it was "too intimate". 

Besides the characters themselves, the story just didn't have a lot of spark and there wasn't really anything new or exciting here. It was predictable and was back and forth the whole way through, with the ending feeling forced and rushed. I will admit that I loved their dogs, and the moments between them and the dogs were the highlights of this story. If there are any characters that I truly liked here it would be them, but even that wasn't enough for me to love this book. Overall though, this one just felt like another typical NA story with less than likable characters and a ton of eye rolling on my part. If you are a Lauren Layne fan and can handle a jerk of a hero and a heroine that continues to put up with it, you might give this one a chance. But if you are looking for more than a predictable NA story with characters that aren't easy to like, I don't know that I would recommend this one.

**ARC Provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes | 





0 comments :

Post a Comment