in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

ARC Review: The Purest Hook by Scarlett Cole


The Purest Hook is the third book in the Second Circle Tattoos series from Scarlett Cole. This is the first book that I have read from Scarlett Cole, but I have heard such great things about this series that I jumped at the chance to read this one. This book is a standalone story, and I didn't feel lost coming into a series already in progress, though the characters are interconnected. I have to say though that this book had a lot of things that didn't work for me personally, and while I wanted to love this one I just didn't. 

With her abusive past, Pixie has found a new family at the Second Circle Tattoo shop. She avoids men and works hard. Rocker Dred Zander is the type of man she usually avoids at all costs, but she can't help but be drawn to him. Dred is determined to win Pixie over, and the more time they spend together the more he wears her down. Soon they are both wanting more, but with his touring and career and her past, they know that time together will be few and far between. So when both of their pasts reappear and threaten everything they are building together Pixie and Dred will have to fight harder than ever for something that neither of them ever expected. 

I really wanted to love Pixie and Dred's story. I liked both of them, but I didn't feel as though I was invested in them. They were okay characters, I just couldn't connect to them even though I did like them. Their relationship was a slow burn and I kept waiting for things to develop and once they finally did there was so much else going on that their relationship just got sort of lost in everything else. There was just so much drama and it was all so over the top that I didn't find this story believable at all. I thought that Pixie and Dred had chemistry, but there was just so much else happening that I never really saw it happen naturally and everything felt rushed and forced. 

Overall, this one was a disappointment for me. The focus here was on everything else but these two, and it really felt as though the romance between them was a subplot that just got lost in the shuffle. I found myself skimming and wanting to just get to the end because I just felt no emotion or had no interest in Pixie and Dred because of everything else. I might go back and read the previous books at some point because people seem to love them. I am hoping that maybe those two books are different than this one. But this might be a case of this book just not working for me, and if you have enjoyed the series so far or think that this might be something you would like I recommend giving it a shot. For me personally, this one didn't work.

**ARC Provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes 




0 comments :

Post a Comment